Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Nature words extinct?


The Canadian Press reports that "a British Columbia environmental group is flabbergasted that the publisher of the Oxford Junior Dictionary has sent words like 'beaver' and 'dandelion' the way of the dodo bird. In the latest version of its dictionary for schoolchildren, Oxford University Press has cut nature terms such as heron, magpie, otter, acorn, clover, ivy, sycamore, willow and blackberry.

In their place, the university publishing house has substituted more modern terms, like the electronic Blackberry, blog, MP3 player, voicemail and broadband." I'm flabbergasted too. All the more reason for an emphasis on getting kids back outside and connected with nature. For more of this article and others, visit the Children and Nature Network.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! How sad! I had to follow the C&NNN link to verify... Thanks for posting, I'm not sure I would have come across this story otherwise.

    Am happy to have stumbled on to your blog courtesy of Blogger's "Next Blog" button...

    Keep up the good work! Great blog... I shall be visiting again!

    Cheers,
    Ecojotter

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis